Sheffield Unionof Golf Clubs
SHEFFIELD UNION LEAGUE (1967)
Match Play from Scratch
1. There will be 5 divisions of the League.
2. Any club wishing to join or withdraw from the League shall give notice to the Secretary by
30th September each year.
3. All matches shall be played from scratch over 18 holes matchplay.
4. For every match won a team shall receive 2 points and for every match halved, 1 point.
5. There will be promotion and relegation annually to and from each division.
Divisions 1, 2, 3: two teams will be promoted and relegated from each division.
Division 4: two teams promoted.
Divisions 4 and 5: (to try and make the end of season more competitive for 2017 we are trialing the following) :-
One team (6th place) will be automatically relegated from division 4 & 1 team (1st place) will be promoted from division 5
The 5th placed team in div 4 will play-off against the 2nd placed team in div 5 on a home and away basis.
For example, the 1st match will be div 5 team (home) v div 4 team, 2nd match div 4 (home) v div 5
The final place in Div 4 will go to the team with the most matches won. In the event of a tie the actual number of holes won shall decide.
6. General rules in the case of a tie on points:
(a) matches won during the season will be taken into accoun;
(b) if the clubs are still tied the actual number of holes won will decide;
(c) if the clubs are still tied the result of the matches between the clubs will decide.
7. (a) Clubs shall be represented by a team of four players.
(b) a player may represent one club only during any one season.
(c) to decide the order of play on the day, team lists must be exchanged simultaneously before play commences. The visiting player’s should be given the course score card and any local rules of the course.
8. (a) all matches shall be played on Wednesdays as per fixture lists on the website and shall start at 17.00, and the last match must tee off by 17.30. Any player failing to present himself for a match at the time agreed shall be deemed to have lost its match by 10 and 8. After the match, the card shall be certified and signed by both Captains or Club Representatives. It is the responsibility of the Home Captain or Representative to telephone, or email , the result of the match to the Union Office and return the result card to the reach the Secretary of the SUGC.
(b) a match postponed due to weather or the state of the course following bad weather shall be replayed before the following Wednesday on a mutually agreed day. If no agreement can be reached, the match will be played on the Monday following the postponement. There shall be no other reason for postponement other than the aforementioned. In the event of teams also playing in the Derbyshire or Nottingham Leagues, the match default day, if the teams cannot agree a date, will be the Thursday of the week in which the match should have taken place.
(c) a match suspended due to weather or to the state of the course following bad weather shall be resumed from where it was discontinued even though resumption occurs on a subsequent day.
When a discontinued match is resumed it shall be done so before the following Wednesday on a mutually agreed date. If no agreement can be reached the match will be played on the Monday following the postponement. If a team also plays in the Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire Leagues, en the default day becomes the Thursday of the week in which the match should have taken place.
If matches have started then they must be continued with original players. A player failing to present himself for the match on the agreed date and time shall be deemed to have lost the match by 10 and 8. If a match had not started then replacement players can be used.
NB A match for the purposes of the league is defined as that between two players (see rules of golf definitions 'Sides and Matches' and Rule 6-8 a b and c).
(d) team captains are delegated by the SUGC Championship Committee to decide that a match be postponed or suspended under Rule 6-8 only, but players are reminded of their rights under the rules of golf regarding lightning. If the match hasn't started then the decision for postponement, shall be made on the 1st tee on the day of the match at 17.30.
9. Where a club is playing in any of the YUGC Team Championships then the match shall be played on the Monday preceding the original match date.
10. The winning club of each Division will hold the appropriate Divisional Title and be awarded a suitably inscribed plaque.
6 - 18 HANDICAP LEAGUE (2015)
1. Clubs are allocated to a zone (region) of the Sheffield Union to cut down on travelling time and costs.
2. Club players must have a handicap between 6 and 18 inclusive, AND two of the team players must have a handicap over 12 (13-18) to allow golfers with
such handicaps an opportunity to participate in this SUGC league competition.
3. Club teams consist of 8 players who play as 4 pairs in a match play foursome format.
4. Matches, home and away, are arranged by and between all the clubs in the same zones on days of their own choice.
5. Matches must be played between 1 May and 31 August: matches not played by the end date will be halved.
6. For Matches postponed for weather or the state of the course owing to bad weather the home club to offer 3 dates, one of which must be accepted by the opponents.
7. The result of every match shall be communicated to the SUGC Hon. Secretary, following its conclusion, on the basis of 2 points for a win, 1 for a half and 0 for a loss per foursome pair in the match.
8. After all matches have been played (by 31 August), a final will take place involving the winning club teams of all the zones. The format of the Final will be
Pairs, Betterball, Stableford with all scores to count for the team score. NB. Buggies will be allowed but players must get prior SUGC approval, as in all
other SUGC competition.